I really started to feel like a teacher and a North Elementary staff member this past week. Last Friday, the 21st, I attended meetings during the morning. And I was very glad I came. I had the opportunity to meet the new members of the staff and to reconnect with some of the teachers I have worked with in the past. The meetings also gave me insight into some of the changes North has made, as well as projects the staff are working on throughout the year. One change North has made that I am very happy about is the reconstruction of the main office. Before, visitors could just bypass the office, causing security concerns for the students and staff. Now when visitors arrive, they must pass by a secretary in the office and sign in. North has also developed a school pledge. I feel this pledge will help unify the students, and also give them pride in their school and in themselves. In the afternoon on Friday, I assisted Laura and Mary Ann in cleaning and organizing the classroom. I remember helping my dad organize his classroom when I was little, but now it has so much more meaning. While helping Laura and Mary Ann, I became familiar with the different areas of the classroom. I was also able to see different ways to set up a kindergarten classroom, as well as learn several strategies for establishing routines that help students develop responsibility. I especially liked the attendance and lunch count strategy. The students have to find the popsicle stick with their name on it and place it into either the hot lunch or cold lunch cup. This kind of task not only fosters responsibility, but also incorporates literacy. Students have to be able to identify their name and the appropriate cup.
On Monday, the 24th, I continued to help organize the classroom. In the evening, I decided to write a letter to the parents introducing myself and explaing my action research project. I put the letter in each student folder, which parents received on Tuesday, the 25th, during the parent meeting. At the parent meeting, all but two of the students' parents attended. I started to think that the parents wanted to be involved in their child's education, which gave me hope for my action research project.
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday consisted of doing home visits where Laura, Mary Ann, and I got to meet with the students and their parents. After completing most of the visits, I can definitely say I am a proponent of them. The home visits can serve as a sort of assessment of the students' pre-existing knowledge. For instance, Laura asked each student to identify colors, shapes, letters, and numbers to see what they already knew. I also believe home visits can help a teacher get to know his or her students' interests. Because the teacher is in the home environment, students can show the teacher their favorite toys, games, books, etc. At our home visits, I spent my time talking with the parents about my action research project, which is focused on enriching collaboration between teachers and parents. Almost all of the parents were very receptive and willing to help in any way. While I was very excited I received such a positive response from parents, I was a little upset I did not get to spend much time with the students. I am afraid I missed a good opportunity to start building rapport with them. Hopefully I will have a good chance of developing that rapport on the first day of school.
Kindergarten is starting, And parents will be parting. Many tears may be shed, But a great year is ahead!
You didn't tell me you had poetry in your heart! You'll have to make sure you work that into your lessons. I'm glad you see the value in home visits. I wouldn't worry too much about not spending as much time with the kids--you'll have plenty of time for that, and I think the face to face contact with the parents was important for you.
I really started to feel like a teacher and a North Elementary staff member this past week. Last Friday, the 21st, I attended meetings during the morning. And I was very glad I came. I had the opportunity to meet the new members of the staff and to reconnect with some of the teachers I have worked with in the past. The meetings also gave me insight into some of the changes North has made, as well as projects the staff are working on throughout the year. One change North has made that I am very happy about is the reconstruction of the main office. Before, visitors could just bypass the office, causing security concerns for the students and staff. Now when visitors arrive, they must pass by a secretary in the office and sign in. North has also developed a school pledge. I feel this pledge will help unify the students, and also give them pride in their school and in themselves. In the afternoon on Friday, I assisted Laura and Mary Ann in cleaning and organizing the classroom. I remember helping my dad organize his classroom when I was little, but now it has so much more meaning. While helping Laura and Mary Ann, I became familiar with the different areas of the classroom. I was also able to see different ways to set up a kindergarten classroom, as well as learn several strategies for establishing routines that help students develop responsibility. I especially liked the attendance and lunch count strategy. The students have to find the popsicle stick with their name on it and place it into either the hot lunch or cold lunch cup. This kind of task not only fosters responsibility, but also incorporates literacy. Students have to be able to identify their name and the appropriate cup.
ReplyDeleteOn Monday, the 24th, I continued to help organize the classroom. In the evening, I decided to write a letter to the parents introducing myself and explaing my action research project. I put the letter in each student folder, which parents received on Tuesday, the 25th, during the parent meeting. At the parent meeting, all but two of the students' parents attended. I started to think that the parents wanted to be involved in their child's education, which gave me hope for my action research project.
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday consisted of doing home visits where Laura, Mary Ann, and I got to meet with the students and their parents. After completing most of the visits, I can definitely say I am a proponent of them. The home visits can serve as a sort of assessment of the students' pre-existing knowledge. For instance, Laura asked each student to identify colors, shapes, letters, and numbers to see what they already knew. I also believe home visits can help a teacher get to know his or her students' interests. Because the teacher is in the home environment, students can show the teacher their favorite toys, games, books, etc. At our home visits, I spent my time talking with the parents about my action research project, which is focused on enriching collaboration between teachers and parents. Almost all of the parents were very receptive and willing to help in any way. While I was very excited I received such a positive response from parents, I was a little upset I did not get to spend much time with the students. I am afraid I missed a good opportunity to start building rapport with them. Hopefully I will have a good chance of developing that rapport on the first day of school.
Kindergarten is starting,
And parents will be parting.
Many tears may be shed,
But a great year is ahead!
I am looking forward to next Tuesday!
You didn't tell me you had poetry in your heart! You'll have to make sure you work that into your lessons. I'm glad you see the value in home visits. I wouldn't worry too much about not spending as much time with the kids--you'll have plenty of time for that, and I think the face to face contact with the parents was important for you.
ReplyDelete