Thursday, August 27, 2009

Week 11 Reflection

2 comments:

  1. It seemed like a chaotic week with the H1N1 vaccinations and the paving of the parking lot. But nonetheless, we got through it successfully!

    As for lessons this week, I really liked the temperature one Laura did on Monday and Tuesday. It was actually an authentic inquiry activity. The kids were making predictions, trying different things, and drawing conclusions. I do not think teachers do nearly enough lessons like that. I believe it is so important for kids at this age to have that opportunity, because it really promotes their critical thinking skills. Science is the one area where kids cannot really memorize anything. They are forced to use their brains and truly think about things.

    I also liked my needs and wants lesson on Wednesday, in which we talked about the value of donating to those less fortunate. The kids got so excited during this lesson. When I suggested collecting money for the Malaria No More project, they wanted to know more about it and were brainstorming ways they could get as many mosquito nets as possible. This lesson also incorporated an element of math. We first discussed the value of pennies, nickels, and dimes. The kids then thought about which of those three coins we should collect in order to get to $10.00 faster. They concluded that dimes were the best choice, because they are worth the most. Then we figured out that we would need 100 dimes to get one mosquito net.

    On Tuesday, when we tried using Compass Odyssey in the computer lab, I was nervous about how chaotic it would be since there are so many steps to logging in. But I was blown away at how quickly the kids did it! After only receiving directions once, most of them remembered exactly what to do. I thought I was tech savvy, but this generation is so surrounded by technology and more capable of using it than I think they are.

    As I continue to do calendar everyday, I find myself becoming bored with it. So I am sure the kids are getting bored, too. Doing the temperature thing is a nice addition to spice it up a little, but is there something else I could do to enhance that time? I do not want to stray too far from what they are used to doing, but it needs a little change.

    I am also finding that I lose my motivation and enthusiasm when Friday rolls around. Perhaps I am just tired by that point in the week. I just do not want anyone to think I am not excited to be there, because I really am. I love the classroom I am in and really think kindergarten is the level I am meant to teach. Maybe coffee is the answer…

    I think the most beneficial part of this week was parent-teacher conferences. I know meeting with parents is one of the hardest things to do as a teacher, especially as a new teacher. But actually getting to attend the conferences and see how they are conducted really made me feel like I could handle it when I have my own class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the areas I keep trying to push myself in is science inquiry. The kids love it, it makes them think, and it's very real world! Remember that next year as lesson planning and beginning teaching begin to overwhelm you. There should always be time for it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.