In previous posts, I have mainly reflected on my lessons. However, this week it seemed that issues in the classroom caught my attention more.
One situation that has progressively gotten worse occurs during calendar. Since the number of days in school is getting higher, I have noticed the kids are less attentive when we do our exercises. They jump all over the place and do not listen. I think some of the students are acting this way because they cannot count that high. Therefore, they think they can just goof off. Then when we do stop counting, some of them continue to do the exercise. I try to remind them that we stop moving when we stop counting. I feel that the problem is going to worsen as the numbers get higher.
Another situation that is troubling me occurs during shared reading. I am finding that I cannot control the students and keep them together on the steps. It is especially bad when we sing songs, because they want to roam around the room when doing the movements and motions. I try to model what they should be doing and remind them to do the motions in place, but they continue to move about. I was thinking I could assign the kids spots on the steps. While I think it might keep them in place while we are seated, it really would not keep them from moving around when we sing. I was also thinking we could just sing our songs while we are up on the carpet after calendar. Then we could move down to the steps when it was time for the big book and poems. I am also finding that I need something to occupy them while I am switching tapes and CDs. I have all the CDs and tapes out and ready to go, but there is still that awkward time when the kids become talkative and restless. Perhaps I could have them count how long it takes me get the CD in and to the song we need. I just need something to fill that time.
Students shouting out without raising their hands has been a persistent problem the entire year. This is especially a problem with our higher kids, because they know the answer and are dying to tell me. But it is important for the other kids to respond so I know they are actually thinking and have their own thoughts. Since this has been a continual problem, I have decided this is the area for which I would like to create a reward system.
This week really showed me all the elements and steps that are required in planning. For instance, on Friday I knew what I wanted the kids to do in the computer lab, but I failed to inform the lab teacher that I needed her to pull up the activity on the computers before we arrived. While I write that kind of stuff in my lesson plans, I rarely look at my plans, because I know the schedule and the steps of my lessons. Maybe I need to start writing notes to myself and place them in a designated area that forces me to look at them.
Finally, I have a concern regarding one of our students. He arrives late and never has a backpack. He seems really disengaged and will cry some days. I do not think he has a very stable home life. He is passed back and forth from his mom’s house to his dad’s house. I feel he lacks the continuity he needs in his day to day life. I do not know if we should contact the child’s parents to find out what is going on. I think if we had a better understanding, we could work together with the parents to help the child.
Calendar is an easy area for the kids to get "stale" quickly. Even though certain elements need to stay the same, it's important to find ways to vary the exercise, or vary how you call on students, or where you place yourself during the lesson--sometimes it helps to walk around and stand physically close to those having difficulty. One of the reasons I have the kids move from the "lines" to the steps for shared reading is to give them some variety in where and how they're sitting. Before you start a song, or while you're getting CD's ready, make sure you're giving them the expected targeted behavior (I'm watching to see who stays standing on their spot, etc.) Remember that those who are moving around are looking for your attention, so make sure to narrate the kids who are doing the right things. Don't hesitate to stop or pause the activity to redirect behavior. The more engaging you can be in these activities the better they'll go.
In previous posts, I have mainly reflected on my lessons. However, this week it seemed that issues in the classroom caught my attention more.
ReplyDeleteOne situation that has progressively gotten worse occurs during calendar. Since the number of days in school is getting higher, I have noticed the kids are less attentive when we do our exercises. They jump all over the place and do not listen. I think some of the students are acting this way because they cannot count that high. Therefore, they think they can just goof off. Then when we do stop counting, some of them continue to do the exercise. I try to remind them that we stop moving when we stop counting. I feel that the problem is going to worsen as the numbers get higher.
Another situation that is troubling me occurs during shared reading. I am finding that I cannot control the students and keep them together on the steps. It is especially bad when we sing songs, because they want to roam around the room when doing the movements and motions. I try to model what they should be doing and remind them to do the motions in place, but they continue to move about. I was thinking I could assign the kids spots on the steps. While I think it might keep them in place while we are seated, it really would not keep them from moving around when we sing. I was also thinking we could just sing our songs while we are up on the carpet after calendar. Then we could move down to the steps when it was time for the big book and poems. I am also finding that I need something to occupy them while I am switching tapes and CDs. I have all the CDs and tapes out and ready to go, but there is still that awkward time when the kids become talkative and restless. Perhaps I could have them count how long it takes me get the CD in and to the song we need. I just need something to fill that time.
Students shouting out without raising their hands has been a persistent problem the entire year. This is especially a problem with our higher kids, because they know the answer and are dying to tell me. But it is important for the other kids to respond so I know they are actually thinking and have their own thoughts. Since this has been a continual problem, I have decided this is the area for which I would like to create a reward system.
This week really showed me all the elements and steps that are required in planning. For instance, on Friday I knew what I wanted the kids to do in the computer lab, but I failed to inform the lab teacher that I needed her to pull up the activity on the computers before we arrived. While I write that kind of stuff in my lesson plans, I rarely look at my plans, because I know the schedule and the steps of my lessons. Maybe I need to start writing notes to myself and place them in a designated area that forces me to look at them.
Finally, I have a concern regarding one of our students. He arrives late and never has a backpack. He seems really disengaged and will cry some days. I do not think he has a very stable home life. He is passed back and forth from his mom’s house to his dad’s house. I feel he lacks the continuity he needs in his day to day life. I do not know if we should contact the child’s parents to find out what is going on. I think if we had a better understanding, we could work together with the parents to help the child.
Calendar is an easy area for the kids to get "stale" quickly. Even though certain elements need to stay the same, it's important to find ways to vary the exercise, or vary how you call on students, or where you place yourself during the lesson--sometimes it helps to walk around and stand physically close to those having difficulty.
ReplyDeleteOne of the reasons I have the kids move from the "lines" to the steps for shared reading is to give them some variety in where and how they're sitting. Before you start a song, or while you're getting CD's ready, make sure you're giving them the expected targeted behavior (I'm watching to see who stays standing on their spot, etc.) Remember that those who are moving around are looking for your attention, so make sure to narrate the kids who are doing the right things. Don't hesitate to stop or pause the activity to redirect behavior. The more engaging you can be in these activities the better they'll go.